It's stinking hot in lovely Amherst, Massachusetts today, and my brain is as limp as my poor cats, who are sprawled like dishrags on the hardwood floor, hoping in vain for a cool spot. So I offer you the inspiration of others. Here are some great blog posts I've run across in the past few days:
- A fabulous post from agent Jessica Faust of BookEnds, LLC on Bad Agents: how to recognize marginal and incompetent agents, and why they're just about as bad for your career as dishonest agents.
- This post from editor Anita Diggs sheds some light on why. Editors remember marginal and incompetent agents, and not in a good way.
- Rachel Vater suggests a series of questions to ask to determine whether or not the agent who just made you an offer has a clue.
- Concerned about whether the independent publisher you're thinking of approaching is reputable? Writer December Quinn suggests some things to look for, and contrasts the website of a reputable small publisher with the website of one of the most infamous of the author mills (guess who?).
- Another great post from December on how to evaluate an epublisher.