Monday, November 13, 2006

Victoria Strauss -- I've Been Tagged...

...by Cathy Clamp to write five things about myself that few people know, and tag five others to do the same. So here goes...

1. I have tattoos. Two of them. One is embarrassing. One isn't. (And no, I'm not going to say where they are.)

2. I have two middle names. My full name is Victoria Mary Craig Strauss. (You can see why few people know this.) Mary Craig is a family name on my mother's side.

3. I've been married for 28 years. To the same guy. (I'm not actually as old as that makes me sound.) We're still best friends. (All together now: Awwwww.)

4. I'm mildly claustrophobic. Elevators, planes, and other confined spaces make me extremely uneasy. I can control it most of the time, but every now and then I come close to flipping out. This happened to me once on a plane...it's not a happy memory. Luckily, it was a short flight.

5. I'm a distant (very, very distant) cousin of William Faulkner, again on my mother's side of the family. My mom and I discovered this just last year, poring over an old genealogy.

Tagging...

Ann Crispin (sorry, Ann)
Dave Kuzminski
Dawno
Lara Leung
Barbara Bauer (evil grin)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Victoria:
I will tell just one thing about myself:
I am kvelling about Ms. Strauss and Ms. Crispin. This standing up against scammer literary agents is no joke. Do you think any kibitzer should get away with defending that meshuggah Barbara Bauer? Guess again. Boy would I give said kibitzer a piece of my mind, that nebbish, that naar. I'd tell him, "Hey, Mr. Big Shot, ain't you got something better to do? Keeping that shonda Barbara Bauer afloat with up-front fees and thinking you're going to become another Norman Mailer?! *Ay gevalt!*"
And that "anonymous" with his or her likening of Strauss and Crispin to Nazis—-vey es mir!! Enough with the smears! The good people got to keep this country safe from the scammers. Otherwise publishing is just one more big, fat crap shoot—-and to culture you say, "Goodbye Charlie!"
Be well.
"Babs" Bauer

Dawno said...

OMG - I've been tagged by Writer Beware! This is just too cool.

Between blogging about Anne's NaNoWriMo post (and forwarding to my regional peeps) and this meme I have something to worthwhile to blog about tomorrow. Thank you.

Jenna Glatzer said...

Okay, you don't have to tell us WHERE they are, but c'mon! WHAT are the tattoos?? At least the non-embarrassing one? Pleeease?

Victoria Strauss said...

Oh, okay. You talked me into it. The non-embarrassing one is a Buddhist-style lotus. Neither tattoo is visible when I'm clothed.

I've got nothing against tattoos--in fact I'm thinking of getting an ankle tattoo--I just wish I'd had better taste when I was younger.

Dawno said...

I've thrown down the tatoo gauntlet myself - if they come up with a (non-hazardous) way of doing silver and gold I'll get a Star Trek communicator badge tatoo. Right where one would go on a uniform, too.

So far I've dodged the needle.

~Nancy said...

HAHA! Very cool, Victoria. And congrats on being married to the same guy for 28 years.

I've been married to the same guy for 22 years (married just 3 weeks shy of my 22nd birthday), and we're best friends, too.

I'll betcha you were a child bride: Married at 15 or something, right? ;-)

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

~JerseyGirl

Mad Scientist Matt said...

That tattoo one was a bit of a surprise. I suspect some of my blog's readers would be surprised to hear that I don't have any tattoos.