Shining a bright light into the dark corners of the shadow-world of literary scams, schemes, and pitfalls. Also providing advice for writers and industry news and commentary. Writer Beware is sponsored by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc.

January 31, 2006

Victoria Strauss -- A Frivolous Post

I've seen this on a gazillion blogs, and thought I'd try it, since I don't have any brilliant scam thoughts today.

The Meme of Four

Four jobs you’ve had in your life:

- Clerical assistant and all-around galley slave to a self-absorbed self-help writer (I retained my self-respect by refusing to clean up dog poop)
- Financial manager of a not-for-profit corporation (I got D's in math in high school, so imagine my surprise to discover that I was good at accounting)
- House painter (the ladder up to the third storey was fun)
- Temp secretary at an insurance company (where I had NOTHING to do but still had to look busy)

Four movies you could watch over and over:

- Apocalypse Now
- Groundhog Day
- Brazil
- Bedazzled (the original, with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore)

Four places you’ve lived:

- London, England
- Hamburg, Germany
- Dublin, Ireland
- Poughkeepsie, New York

Guess which was my least favorite.

Four TV shows you love to watch:

- Lost
- House
- Deadwood
- The Closer

Four places you’ve been on vacation:

- Seven Sisters, Oregon
- Prince Edward Island, Canada
- Mittenwald, Germany
- Vicenza, Italy

Four websites you visit daily:

- Absolute Write Water Cooler
- The well-shod and gracious Miss Snark
- Publishers Marketplace
- The PublishAmerica Message Board (what can I say? It's like watching a train wreck. It's horrifying, but you can't tear yourself away)

Four of your favorite foods:

- Toast
- Pie
- Olives
- Fig Newtons

It's a wonder I'm not dead of malnutrition.

Four places you’d rather be:

Right now--anywhere but here.

Under normal circumstances--exactly where I am.

Meme passed to:

No passing. I learned my lesson in 6th grade with chain letters.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Nice list. But how do you get to see the original "Bedazzled" over and over?

I thought the original had been suppressed so it didn;t interfere with the Brendan Fraser vehicle. I can't find the original anywhere...

Jen said...

Anon, try Amazon UK for a DVD of the original, they have a Region 0 release (playable anywhere). Amazon US only has the old Bedazzled on video.

I haven't seen either version, but I've seen snippets of the newer one when it was shown on TV. Even the snippets look bad... >_<

 
Design by The Blog Decorator